Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 10

Well, today I decided to work on the guts of the cabinet. I spent the last two days trying to decide which OS I wanted to run it on. After several upgrades, several reinstalls and much desk pounding with the fist, I decided to use Linux Mint.

I used the ShuttleX case I got whilst working at SOE (thanks, DennisG). I put in a measly 20 Gb hard drive just for the environment and will put in a secondary drive for the larger games (laser disc games, etc.)

It also supported the Playstation 2 game controller I connected without any trouble. It's just temporary until I get the arcade controls later on.

Now I just gotta keep my eye on a free monitor on Craigslist (somewhere between 19 and 24 inches). With everyone trying to get rid of their CRT monitors, that shouldn't take too long.

I found a front-end for MAME that also supports other emulators as well as an mp3 jukebox. Still got a lot of work to do to stabilize this system and make it automated, but it's coming right along.

No comments:

Post a Comment